Friday 7 March 2008

The perfect Auction search engine or the Holy Grail?

Maybe it is a holy Grail and does not exist, as all the ones I look at have too many limitations.

The google seacrh is too limited and will not step out of the cache, although the igoogle searches that I have seen, have been a lot better they are basically using Javascript and I could do that myself

I can knock up a javascript one that would search them all but it is limited as it will only open the searches of each auction in a seperat window or in frames.
It has no options for newly listed etc' and not everyone uses Javascript.

I found another that runs on PHP, HTML and Javascript that claims to be able to do it and is a meta search. But testing the free version it is not looking promising, as it has none of the auctions in its search field, and you think they would have atleast added ebay if it was able to do it.

Also tested out a microsoft Live search tool that looks like it is set up for single page search rather than a full site.

I have loaded up a comparison script and I'm looking to see if it can step past the cache, but at the moment it is not looking good, as it is also demanding data in the form of a CSV file, which means every auction would have to be constantly scanned and the amount of space required would be massive.

Hopefully someone will find the perfect Auction search engine soon or this will be a harder struggle than it needs to be

No comments: